Well, as you can see I was busy over the holiday weekend.  We are having a baby shower for one of my colleagues at work next week and I wanted to make her something.  I used Butterick Pattern #4560 and it took forever to cut out all the pieces.  First of all, the pattern had pieces for a bag A and a bag B, yet the instructions were the same.  Finally figured out the only difference was that bag A’s fabric had to be interfaced with batting and bag B used prequilted fabric.  I used magnetic closures instead of Velcro.

I wanted to use a fabric that was not babyish so that the bag could still be used for a tote later on.  It has a ton of pockets to organize both the inside and outside.  I had to “adapt” because of some mistakes I made.  The one pocket with the flap on the outside of the bag is shorter than it should have been.  I put the flap in the wrong place and it was easier making the pocket shorter than riping out the flap and redoing.  I had also twisted the strap and didn’t catch it until the bag was completely lined.  Boo-hoo!

I shortened the strap by 6″ when I fixed it and reinforced the handle ends with an “X” stitching.  I had wanted to make it an adjustable strap but it was too thick.  I think next time I make this bag I will put piping around the flaps or make the body of the bag with a different fabric than the flap.  With the fabric I used it all blends together too much.

Anyway, I am pleased at how it turned out and hope my friend likes it.

Advertisements