You are currently browsing the tag archive for the ‘Sewing’ tag.
Well, as you can see I was busy over the holiday weekend. We are having a baby shower for one of my colleagues at work next week and I wanted to make her something. I used Butterick Pattern #4560 and it took forever to cut out all the pieces. First of all, the pattern had pieces for a bag A and a bag B, yet the instructions were the same. Finally figured out the only difference was that bag A’s fabric had to be interfaced with batting and bag B used prequilted fabric. I used magnetic closures instead of Velcro.
I wanted to use a fabric that was not babyish so that the bag could still be used for a tote later on. It has a ton of pockets to organize both the inside and outside. I had to “adapt” because of some mistakes I made. The one pocket with the flap on the outside of the bag is shorter than it should have been. I put the flap in the wrong place and it was easier making the pocket shorter than riping out the flap and redoing. I had also twisted the strap and didn’t catch it until the bag was completely lined. Boo-hoo!
I shortened the strap by 6″ when I fixed it and reinforced the handle ends with an “X” stitching. I had wanted to make it an adjustable strap but it was too thick. I think next time I make this bag I will put piping around the flaps or make the body of the bag with a different fabric than the flap. With the fabric I used it all blends together too much.
Anyway, I am pleased at how it turned out and hope my friend likes it.